From humanitarian and ecological viewpoints, many aspects of the capitalist economic system are irrational; although they are certainly rational from the more limited standpoint of the individual business or capitalist seeking to make profits.… With regard to the environment there are scores of examples of irrational behavior by capitalist businesses that have the ultimate goal of making profits. Many practices and side effects of the way the system functions degrade the ecosystem and its processes on which we depend and may also directly harm humans. For example, it is not rational to introduce chemicals into the environment, including into products we use daily, that areRead More →

So many parents are so excited about their baby walking that they encourage them out of crawling too soon (and don’t get me started about those contraptions that have babies in a standing/walking position long before their bodies are ready for that). When it comes to walking the developmental psychologists used to say “better late than early” (as long as they are crawling while they wait Continue reading Source: Why is Crawling On Hands & Knees So Important? – Conscious Baby Recommend on Facebook Tweet about it

In Australia 70% of the beef produced for human consumption comes from animals raised on grazing lands with very little or no grain supplements. At any time, only 2% of Australia’s national herd of cattle are eating grains in feed lots; the other 98% are raised on and feeding on grass. Two-thirds of cattle slaughtered in Australia feed solely on pasture. To produce protein from grazing beef, cattle are killed. One death delivers (on average, across Australia’s grazing lands) a carcass of about 288 kilograms. This is approximately 68% boneless meat which, at 23% protein equals 45kg of protein per animal killed. This means 2.2Read More →

Here is a thorough article about how attachment styles we establish (outside our implicit memory, i.e. we are not aware of it)affects all our relations hips int he future and what we can do to become securely attached (if we were insecure) and build resilience regardless of attachment style or personal history. It was published in 2008, only 8 years after the relevant research in neuroscience was published and we are now another 8 years into the field. Nonetheless it’s a great foundational piece, shared by Diane Poole Heller. [first presented as a Clinical Conversation at the Community Institute for Psychotherapy, Fall 2008] © LindaRead More →

This makes total sense to me: Scientists don’t know what causes rheumatoid arthritis, but many suspect that the microbiome—the bacteria that live in our gastrointestinal tracts—may be to blame. Source: Joint Pain, From the Gut – The Atlantic Recommend on Facebook Tweet about it

Your vagina will physically and spiritually evolve/change as you do over time. If you are trained to believe, not educated or simply have fear and shame around your vagina, you may feel like your vagina is like some great big void inside of you. Source: Your Vagina Will Not Turn To Stone | Pamela Madsen Recommend on Facebook Tweet about it

There are four key differences between the introvert and extrovert brain: the quantity of blood that flows to the brain, the path the blood takes through the brain, the chemicals needed to feel good and the type of nervous system most commonly activated. Introverts have a greater blood flow to the brain than extroverts. Blood flows to parts of the body that are stimulated, suggesting that introverted individuals tend to be more easily stimulated than extroverted induviduals. Extroverts must compensate for this by appealing to the outside environment for stimulation through social contact, new experiences and physical activity, which is why they tend to beRead More →

Everyone feels anxious at one time or another. Understanding the inner workings of the brain and its nutritional needs helps us understand how good food may help alleviate anxiety. Source: Calming anxiety with food | PCC Natural Markets Recommend on Facebook Tweet about it

We hear a lot of things about hormone therapy (often wrongly called Hormone Replacement Therapy or HRT) (1). Most of the time when “HRT” is used it is referring to the treatment of women who had natural (not surgical) menopause at a normal age. Before about 1998 we believed that estrogen made everything better, but now most of what we hear is bad. And that bad news doesn’t apply to you! Early or surgical menopause needs hormone therapy, but natural, normally timed menopause does not. Some women with early menopause have told me that their doctors stopped their hormone treatment when the Women’s Health InitiativeRead More →